Tuesday, August 19, 2014

A Golden Opportunity

Many moons ago I had a child.
Then another one. 
And when I had those children I was that mom who stayed at home. 
To nurture. 
To feed homemade goodies. 
To swim with on a Tuesday. 
But both of those kids are in school all day now. 
So, I got a job. 

After 9 years of being a stay at home mom, I am employed again. 
Nothing fancy. 
But just enough for me. 
Enough for me to be a part of society again. 
Enough for me to earn a little cash. 
Enough for me so that I am still making my daughters their breakfast in the morning and I'm still picking them up from school. 
Ladies and gentlemen, I'm a playground supervisor at the primary school. 
I got a whistle. 


Gigi started kindergarten on Friday at the primary school and it didn't go too well. 
She's much improved and has now proven to herself that she CAN make it through the long day without mom. 
And it doesn't hurt that she gets to see that mom at lunch and recess. 
It has helped mom, too. 
I get to see that she's happy. 
I make sure she's eating her lunch that I so lovingly prepared for her a few hours prior. 
I get to laugh with her on a daily basis. 
She and I are tight. 
It's the best job I've ever had. 

I'm meeting a lot of neat kids, too. 
We laugh and joke and I tell them it's going to be alright if they cry. 
Because they miss their mom. 
Or if they've fallen down. 
I'm everyone's mom in a way. 
But at the end of recess, I know that only one is mine. 
The fantastic blonde that all of the kids follow around. 
And I get to wear my whistle with pride now. 
Because my amazing friend Leigh sent me a lanyard covered in gold ribbons. 
Gold ribbons represent childhood cancer. 
And my daughter Zoe was attending this same primary school 5 years ago when she was diagnosed with leukemia. 
She is a thriving 4th grader now. 
And I don't need to hover over her like I did when she first got sick. 
Now I get to hover over her sister. 
But in a good way. 
Because our life is ordinary again. 
And I'm loving it...whistle and all!



No comments:

Post a Comment